Saturday 9 May 2020

DANGER ahead...

Yes, this "Stay at Home" routine is getting dangerously expensive. So far, I've bought about a dozen dies and stamps, the Tim Holtz craft mat, and the Tim Holtz stamp platform. Of course I had to have the protective sleeve for the stamp platform, too!

I wasn't too sure about this media mat. I'd seen him demo it but didn't know if I'd really like it. However, I've fallen in love with it now. It's so easy for blending and for watercolour, and easy to clean.

This was just delivered yesterday. I had another one but I stupidly did some heat embossing on the card while it was still on the platform and the rubber mat is now all wavy and I can't get a good stamp image. I "researched" several other brands for replacing it, then settled on this one. I haven't used it yet but will within the next few days, I'm sure. Of course there have been a few other things too. Amazon and a few other delivery services have now become frequent visitors! After all, we have to do our bit to support the economy, don't we? 

But seriously, I am using these things. I've made more cards in the last few weeks than in the last few years, I think. I've also been experimenting with a few new techniques. I've discovered a couple of favourite YouTube video demonstrators, like Jennifer McGuire and GinaK. They both do amazing things. I'm learning (not quite there yet) to do blending with Distress inks and Distress Oxide inks. Also to do the watercolour techniques (a Jennifer McGuire revelation). It's fun and a good way to pass the time since we're supposed to be in isolation.


This one (above) was pretty bog-standard but I did have fun making the butterflies. The patterned paper matched the blue in the stamped image, but it doesn't show up well in the photo. The recipient said she loved it, so that was good! I used my stamping platform to get the two colours on the flowers. I don't know why these stamping platforms weren't invented long ago.....they're a godsend for stampers.


This one (above) was just a play-around with blending colours. I'd seen some similar cards on Pinterest and was trying to do the same. The main stamp was a bit crooked and I wasn't satisfied with the blended background so it's gone into my "just a prototype" file for now!


This one I loved. Simple but pretty. I coloured the flowers using Cosmic Shimmers paints. If you're not familiar with them, they come in little round tubs and you just wet your brush, then dip into the tub to get the paint. The colours have a sort of shimmer or metallic quality that's really lovely. I sent this one to a friend who lives alone in an assisted living accommodation and she called to say she loved it. I think sometimes just sending a card for no reason is really uplifting. People usually love to get cards because it lets them know that someone is thinking of them.

So, that's one of the things I've been doing to keep sane in this crazy time. Plus a few books, lots of time spent looking at Pinterest, and watching mindless television. How about you?


1 comment:

  1. Hi, Jane. I have just bought this stamping Platform, haven't had a go yet. Lovely to see you back blogging. Haven't been around much or doing much crafting really, just starting to get back into it. Know what you mean about the spending.... Best wishes, Kim x

    ReplyDelete